The artist paint brush you need will depend on the paint you will use and the details of your subject. Acrylic and oils need brushes that can hold a lot of paint. For watercolor, brushes don’t need to hold a lot of paint because the subject has to be painted lightly.
Brushes can be classified in three ways; materials, sizes and shapes.
There are two types of materials from which the brush is made of, natural and synthetic. Natural paint brushes are made from one of the following materials: sable, hog, camel, squirrel ox, goat or pony hair. Synthetic brushes are made of nylon or polyester. Some brushes have both natural and synthetic bristles or hair.
Paint brushes have numbers indicating the size. There is no universal standard for such numbers however, and the sizes may vary among different brands.
The shape of the brushes make it easier to paint details of your subject. Some brushes were made to hold more paint while others are for placing precise details that can’t be achieved by other brushes. There are a lot of lists of paint brushes but they can be classified into seven categories. The following is the list of the seven most common shapes.
- Round may have a pointed or round tip ideal for painting details and lines. The rounded tip is for thick strokes while the pointed tip is used for delicate strokes. Liner is a type of round, narrow brush which has longer hairs to carry more paint.
- Flat can hold a lot of paint and is used for bold and fine lines. It has a square end. One type, wash, is used for painting in large areas. It can absorb a lot paint.
- Fan is a flat brush that is used for effects like washes, feathering and blending.
- Filbert is a flat brush that has a rounded edge ideal for painting leaves and soft edges. The dagger brush for example tapers to one side.
- Bright is a flat brush with shorter hairs ideal for strokes that need a lot of color.
- Slanted is a brush with hairs that are angled. It makes for great control when painting thin lines. One type is the angled brush which can hold less paint and is perfect for shading.
- Mop is a type of round brush that has a thin tip used for painting in large areas. Example is the hake used for painting on large surfaces.
- Others like the bamboo brush is used mostly for watercolors and calligraphy. Stippler may be flat or round and is used dry for stippling (painting dots). Stencil brush is used for dry stencils. The palette knife is used for scraping and applying paint like brushes. Toothbrushes are also used for effects. House painting brushes are used to apply paint quickly on a large surface.
Knowing which brush to use will make your work easier, but achieving a satisfying painting ultimately comes down to the execution of the work.
If we are the type that would rather stay in the house catching up the latest season of our favourite crime drama or superhero series, we will be delighted to know that Netflix is talking with Singapore’s biggest telecommunication companies to discuss ways on how to bring the best shows here.
It is not that we do not have the best shows here in Singapore but Netflix will provide rich choices for everyone. Netflix is a popular movie and TV streaming website. It will be here early next year. However, there is one setback – the pricing here will be based on the US pricing which is US$8 or roughly SG$11 per month.
The rate is not that bad considering the rich contents that are readily available to us. What are the contents Netflix will provide? Aside from the exclusive content provided by the company, there will be other movies and shows to be streamed but this will depend on the license issues here. Exclusive Netflix contents include Narcos and Daredevil.
The best part is that they will provide wider selection of contents from Korean to Mandarin movies and TV shows. Netflix met with the Media Development Authority to discuss possible ways of cooperation. To date, StarHub and SingTel already talked with Netflix and explored the business and possible benefits.
Netflix did not give their target number of subscription. The company can only hope but with the right service and branding, customers will surely swarm the product. Let us see where this goes. For sure, Netflix will give our lives more thrill and excitement.
Here in Singapore, we see weather as an opportunity or a disadvantage. The rainy weather for instance. When we encounter it, we either stay at home with the family or we curse at it. If we take the rainy season as an opportunity, there are many ideas that we can consider to keep our family busy and cozy.
Here are some activities that guarantee a good time:
- For the children: The challenging part is to think of activities for the children. We are not sure if they will like it or not but we have to try. We can play with them like sock puppet. This can stimulate their creativity. If we want something more productive, we can help our kids arrange their closets.
- For grown-ups: For grown-ups, we have to think of better activities. We can ask grown-ups around to help us cook a meal. If that is not enough, the fun thing to do is work out together. If we are still bored, a good movie will do.
- For us: When we live alone, thinking of an activity can be challenging but sometimes, we do not need to exert effort. We can just pay our sleep debt if we are too timid to do other tasks. If we are done with sleeping, we can also clean our closet and get rid of unnecessary things. If we are the type that loves a good movie, there are tons of movies streaming online or in cable.
Rainy days only give us more time for the family and our loved ones. We should not curse at it.