To be an ultra-marathoner is the dream of every runner. Somehow this is hard to achieve knowing that we have to deal with tough training. Trainings are meant to make us strong but sometimes for others it is meant to break the spirit. If you want to be an ultra-marathoner, it is time to change your perspective and deal with the difficulties to succeed.
The dilemma of runners vying for ultra-marathons is to constantly break their personal best. Most of the time, you are unable to do so because of many factors around you. If you want to break your personal best, you have to get tips from ultra-marathoners for instance Stone Tsang (10TH placer) and Scott Hawker (15th placer). Both have joined the 2015 Ultra-Trail World Tour Men’s Ranking.
Here are some tips on becoming a better runner according to the two ultra-marathoners:
- Be truthful about goals: Goals are important because it will be your guide and gauge at the end of the day. Without it, you will be nowhere. When setting a goal, you have to make sure that it is truthful or in other words, realistic. It is good to set high goals but the question is can you make it? The goals will be useless if you cannot make it. Remember that your goals should give you reasonable timeline. The trick here is never to rush to see the results. Planning is the key.
- Think of why you started in the first place: Constantly beating your personal best is the end product of your trainings. Trainings can be hard and sometimes you will doubt yourself. When you encounter this, it is important that you think of why you started in the first place. Are you training for that ultimate marathon or just beating your personal best? Regardless of the reason, it is wise to keep that in mind.
- Learn to balance work-life: Yes, you are training for that ultimate marathon but do not forget your social life or your family in the long run. You have to balance work and life. Running should not define you as a person because it is not everything. There’s the family or your work. Make an effort to spend time with the family or friends. The best thing to do is include your family or loved ones in your journey. If there are many races you want to join, make sure that you do not compromise family time. Family should always come first.
- Do not let it consume you: You really want to beat your personal best every time that you let it consume you. It is fine if you are particular with your results but not to the point of obsessing over it. It is not healthy especially for your relationships and self-esteem. Just remember to have fun and keep smiling. These alone can take the stress and the pressure thereby running faster.
- Ask for some advices: Running is not a personal journey. There are many people that can help you along the journey. There is your family. If you want, you can get professional help. The important thing here is never to be afraid of soliciting assistance or help. Remember that mistakes will only make you slow so better seek assistance when in doubt. There are plenty of professionals that you can consider like your doctor, nutritionist and coaches.
- Run wisely: Training is important but if you do not plan ahead, you will waste your precious time and energy – that is not wise. To maximize all your effort and time, it is recommended that you plan your training and train specifically according to your goals. The training plan should be balanced – with difficult and easy tasks. It is normal to go hard all the time but you will risk yourself from burning out or worse, injury. So always keep in mind to balance your training. Be patient and listen. Also, remember that it is okay to take a rest for a while if the body is too exhausted or tired.
Training for ultra-marathon is not easy and it can be very demanding but if you have a training plan, nothing is too demanding or too tiring. Just remember the things mentioned by experts and you’ll do just fine. Break a leg and good luck!